To make school better we need to stop pretending:
- that education is more important than learning. Education is something that is done to me. Learning is something I do. (Think packet.)
- that activity equals engagement. Just because students are doing doesn't mean they are engaged. (Think packet.)
- that content is more important than the learning process. Google has content. Help students improve their learning process, and content will take care of itself.
- that education is a partisan issue. Transformational education reform will never be legislated and using allowable growth as a leverage for reelection is deplorable. This is not a left or right thing. It's a wrong or right thing.
- that building relationships with your students is optional. For some of our students, school is the safest place they have and teachers are the ones they rely on most.
Your thoughts are welcomed and encouraged,